McLaren Vale is one of South Australia’s oldest and most picturesque regions, nestled between the Mount Lofty Ranges and the white, sandy beaches of the Gulf of St Vincent.
McLaren Vale offers exceptional wines and regional produce all set amongst rolling vineyards, a rugged coastline and a charming collective of villages. With so much to offer winemakers and with its natural propensity toward change and experimentation, it’s not surprising that that McLaren remains a draw for some of the most creative winemakers around.
These winemakers add to the vibrancy of a region that for decades has been lauded for its ability to produce brilliance from an array of noble varietals like Shiraz, Grenache and Cabernet Sauvignon.
Best known for: Grenache, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon
- The cooling effect from the ocean creates substantial meso-climate variation
- Exposure to or protection from ocean influence dictates success of varieties planted
- Low summer rainfall
- Wide range of soils but red/brown loamy sand quite common
- Sandy soils on hillsides around Blewitt Springs
- Some areas with terra rossa
34° 16’S Latitude
Average Rain fall in growing season 180-200mm