planning the perfect weekenda!
The Hunter Valley is the perfect romantic getaway or weekend escape and is just 2 hours drive north of Sydney in New South Wales. It is one of Australia’s major and oldest wine regions, with viticultural histrory dating back to the early 1800’s. Known for varietals such as Semillon, Chardonnay and Shiraz. The region offers visitors world class wineries inlcude well known brands and family run boutique cellar doors. The Lower Hunter region offers 5 star restaurants, accommodation, spa retreats, concerts, gourmet producers and attractions. Pokolbin is known as the gateway to wine country, but visitors should also explore Mt View, Lovedale, Broke, Rothbury and Wollombi areas. Listed below are some helpful resources when planning your trip to the Hunter Valley.
1) How to get here
The Hunter Valley is a 2 hour drive north of Sydney travelling on the M1. You can take the Cessnock exit or continue on to the Hunter Expressway and take the Lovedale Rd exit.
It is a 40 mins drive from Newcastle airport, where you can hire a car or arrange transport with a private driver.
2) Make a booking
With Government restrictions on numbers, many cellar doors will now only accept bookings. Therefore, we recommend doing some homework on the wineries and restaurants you wish to visit and make a booking when planning your trip. Visit https://www.winecountry.com.au/ for a comprehensive listing to assist planning your visiting.
If you are Club Equus member of Saddler’s Creek Wines book your complimentary wine tasting here
3) Where to stay
The Hunter Valley offers an array of accommodation from a holiday homes, cottages, golf and spa resorts to caravan parks.
- Pokolbin is the main centre with plenty of options close to Hunter Valley Gardens.
- Lovedale includes many boutique cottages and The Crowne Plaza resort.
- Rothbury encompasses ‘around Hermitage’ with many cottages and boutique resorts. The Vintage golf estate features holiday homes, The Mecure Apartments and Chateau Elan within the estate.
- Mt View, Wollombi and Broke areas have some stunning hidden retreats and cottages.
4) Where to play
There is something for everyone when visiting the Hunter Valley. Here are a few of our must do favourite things;
- Hot Air Balloon Flight – There is something magical about experiencing sunrise through hot air balloons rides in the Hunter Valley. Check out www.beyondballooning.com.au for your Saddler’s discount of 20% off when you book in July.
- Golf – The Pokolbin and Lovedale areas offer world class golf courses. Including; The Vintage, Crowne Plaza and Cypress Lakes. For golf hacks, why not try Aqua Golf at Hunter Valley Gardens suitable for all ages. Book a golf Lesson with Richard Mercer Golf Academy.
- Day Spa – Sometimes you just need to wind down, why not book a day spa to relax and be pampered. View places
5) Where to eat
Wine Country offers a diverse selection of places to eat. From two hatted Muse Dining to casual tapas at The Deck Cafe. You will find there are so many world class dining options to suit. View dining options.
Hunter Valley Wine Country is also the perfect Wedding destination and can cater for all wedding sizes. With breath taking views, stunning reception options, impeccable catering and accommodation, the Hunter Valley is ideal destination wedding. Plan here